Institute for Sustainability, Education and Ecology
Green Partnership Schools:
Teach, prepare, involve, and inspire.
The best of place-based learning.
Current 8-week GPS Elementary Schools:
Bethel: Irving, Prairie Mountain
4J: Adams, Awbrey Park, Bertha Holt, Camas Ridge, Edison, McCornack, River Road/El Camino del Rio, Spring Creek, Yujin Gakuen
Springfield: Guy Lee, Maple
Current 5-week GPS Elementary Schools:
Sign Up Now! (Please contact Tami: email@example.com)
Each Green Partnership School participates in the following:
- Sustainability Education
- Hands-on, interactive lesson plans related to sustainability concepts.
- Small group projects and discussion, student presentations, artwork and other meaningful hands-on activities.
- 4th grade classrooms:
- In depth introduction to sustainability concepts (soil, water, air and energy).
- In-class energy & waste audits, as well as an action plan for potential school-wide changes.
- Students create posters for hallways around school.
- All lessons build a sense of place, focus on hands-on activities, involve small group/whole class discussions and align with Oregon Core Standards.
Whole School Involvement
- 6th grade classrooms (middle school):
- Waste and Energy Audits.
- Zero Waste Challenge – competing with other GPS schools.
- Whole school assembly in the spring.
- Scheduling, planning and preparation of these activities will be organized by PSS staff and interns in collaboration with teachers, students, school staff and volunteers.
PSS believes that all schools have the opportunity to provide:
A place in our community where youth can explore what their world has in store for them.
Stepping stones that lead each student towards independent success, paired with the ability to contribute or "give back."
Places where knowledge is passed from teacher to student in hopes that each student will carry on to make the best life for themselves and others.
What do you think about making our local schools even more aligned with the goals outlined above? PSS's new program, Green Partnership Schools, is designed to achieve these goals through environmental education, place-based and project-based learning.